Wednesday, April 16, 2008

My Dad, My Hero?? Apparently Not

This is kind of a touchy subject but last night when I was celebrating my friend's birthday her father had come down to celebrate it with her. It made me think of my father and our little stand-off we have going on each other. Over the fall semester I started getting upset over the things that my father has put me through, thanks to being in therapy. I mean the man doesn't even know when my birthday is, he think its in June when in fact it's in July. To add insult to injury he doesn't even call me on the day he apparently thinks I was born on anyway.

So to let him know how I feel about it I did not call him on his birthday, on Christmas, and on New Year's Eve. On the same token, its not like he called me on those holidays either. So as you may or may not know I still have another year to go til I graduate. So I asked my dad if he could still help me out financially, he gives me child support because my mother took him to court but that's another story. So I asked him to help me for another year and he said it wasn't his fault that I did not finish in time and that I went to such an expensive school. So when I told my mother about she of course called him and asked about it.

You know what he told her. He told my mom why should I still help her, "What has she done for me?". Excuse me, what have I done for him? This is coming from a man who not only cannot remember to call me on my birthday without my mother reminding him but who has never really been there for me. He must be mistaken if he think that just because I get a check in the mail, he is being a great father. It really makes me sad that the people he goes to the bar with not only know him better but he spends more time with them than he does with his children. Father's Day always makes me sad.

2 comments:

samm said...

Very moving. Your writing will heal you and will make you feel good. More importantly, it will open the door to the goodness inside. Continue.

Noelle said...

I know how you feel, and I don't know if I'd ever have the balls to write about it.